Thursday, October 24, 2013

The Expansion of Online Tracking


Personal information is becoming not only increasingly transparent, but also highly marketable.  These concepts are emphasized in an article in the New York Times by Claire Cain Miller regarding the use of mobile phone data by marketing agencies to target customers. Businesses have been benefiting from data collected from online activities for years; however, technology has now developed to the point where advertisers and large technology companies can track users between devices.  The content an individual searches on his or her cell phone, personal computer, or tablet can be linked together to create a more complete user profile for marketing purposes, increasing the potential to produce individual-specific ads.  Essentially, if an individual searches for information on a product such as Dove soap on their cell phone, he or she may receive ads for soap products displayed while browsing online on their home computer later that day.  The difference between users who share devices can even be determined.  Privacy is already a major concern for many while using internet services, the ability to track individuals between devices adds another layer to this problem.  Perhaps online tracking has been taken too far.  Although I certainly cannot criticize companies for their desire to use this information to succeed and maintain a competitive advantage, the buying and selling of personal information is disconcerting.  Most people would be highly concerned if they were followed on their daily errands and returned home to a mailbox overflowing with advertisements for products they glanced at while out; yet people trade their privacy when online for the convenience of using the internet.  The fact that online information is capable of being tracked should not provide implied consent to track individuals. Should personal data be treated as a commodity where we relinquish all control in exchange for accessing the internet?  Should companies have to disclose how any collected data is used and/or offer the option of not being tracked?

3 comments:

  1. I believe that a person should be able to choose whether or not their personal data that is collected can be used. I know I personally do not feel very comfortable when I think about companies having my information. I know that having data about their consumers is a great thing for companies to use, but it can discourage consumers at the same time when they feel "spied on".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that companies can use this kind of information to build or maintain a competitive advantage. However, I think it’s immoderate to use that information to pull up adds on your personal computer. We live in a society that is driven by consumerism already and I personally do not think that this kind of radical usage of personal information is necessary to sell a product. I think advertising is a great tool to help a brand grow by reaching prospective buyers. However, if it is used incorrectly, it can be interpreted as a scam or can also be categorized as a cheap product.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is absolutely frightening to see how data collection has grown. With this expansion of online tracking, it is possible for complete profiling of individuals. Imagine: companies now know how many devices you have, how often you use each of them, where and when you use each of them; a much more detailed picture of who you are (your personality, your profession, your behavioral frequency) can be produced. You know the saying "you don't know me?" Well , you're known! Thanks, Kathleen!

    Triet Pham

    ReplyDelete