Sunday, October 20, 2013
The government's watch-list, infringement on our privacy? Or protection of our security?
One question I always wonder about is whether the government has the right to infringe on our privacy for security purposes? I have been hearing from more than one friend lately, that they were put on the government's watch list for searching and viewing certain websites. I always considered my use of the internet, the websites I choose to visit and whatever I choose to post on it to be part of my personal freedom of choice. I do not believe that the government has the right to search through my history and view the websites I visited.Although I strongly believe in the government's role in protecting our security from individuals who are trying to plan something over the internet that might endanger the public; I still do not think that the government has the right to randomly put someone on their watch list because they viewed certain websites. It is funny that most of the people on the government's internet watch list are teenagers under the age of 18 who are searching these things because they are curious probably, I would not consider most of them if any to be potential terrorists! Many times I search something because I'm just curious and not because I want to hurt others. Now, I completely understand that the government does not have the time to look into these kids' intentions and know automatically whether they are just curious or are actually planning something bigger. However, the government needs to act a little more intelligent when placing people on a watch list, like for example, they need to differentiate between a kid in high school just attending school and spending his spare time searching over the internet , and another grown up adult who is living under suspicious circumstances and is doing questionable things. This issue is really controversial and was discussed by some of our classmates during their presentation about the government's use of the internet. I am open to any thoughts or counter arguments against what I have discussed, please let me know about your opinions about this issue?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I totally agree with your view that looking up websites and posting info are well covered in personal freedom's territory. However, I have to say I've got an understanding of and tolerance for this action of the government. Without any absolute methods to identify terrorists, this measure is rational. I do not think putting people on watch list will cause them any serious harms. Due diligence to check out these individuals to cross out wrong candidates is of course a must-do, like you mentioned.
ReplyDeleteI agree, that the government should have stricter guidelines as to how they determine who is on their watchlist or not. I don't think that the people being watched are under any serious harm but it is an uncomfortable feeling knowing you are being watched for every move you make on the internet. In reality, the government look out for keywords in suspect of genuine security threats, not signs of public oppositions. Here is a link informing us on words to avoid online if you DON'T want to join the governments watch list:
ReplyDeletehttp://lifehacker.com/5913945/words-to-avoid-online-if-you-dont-want-to-join-the-governments-watch-list
guys thank you so much for taking the time to read my post and share some great comments and links. I think we all reached an agreement that the government has the right to monitor some individuals for the sake of our security, but still with certain limits. Because I believe there is a very fine line between monitoring for security purposes and loss of personal rights.
ReplyDelete